Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Guilty Pleasure

A random guilty pleasure: Rubbing my six-pack belly while singing "Did I Fill the World with Love" from the 1969 movie Good-bye Mr. Chips.

I've often told my son Tom: If I could hope for you to become anything in your life, as you grow into Manhood, it would be to BE GENEROUS. Be generous with your time with others, share of your monetary means, notice where you can do the most good, live from the strength in your heart. Do whatever you need to do to be healthy, wealthy and wise, so you are blessed with the capacity to do so. Where ever I am in your life, near or far, my soul will sing with you!

Fill the World With Love:

In the morning of my life I shall look to the sunrise.
At a moment in my life when the world is new.
And the blessing I shall ask is that God will grant me,
To be brave and strong and true,
And to fill the world with love my whole life through.

In the noontime of my life I shall look to the sunshine,
At a moment in my life when the sky is blue.
And the blessing I shall ask shall remain unchanging.
To be brave and strong and true,
And to fill the world with love my whole life through

In the evening of my life I shall look to the sunset,
At a moment in my life when the night is due.
And the question I shall ask only I can answer.
Was I brave and strong and true?
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through?

Did I fill the world with love
Did I fill the world with love
Did I fill the world with love my whole life through

A couple of summers ago Tom and I were patronizing our favorite shaved ice booth. As we tapped our straws and slurped our mango/tiger's blood mix, Tom said: "I am going to manifest One-Million dollars into my savings account by next summer." As my mind quickly filed through all the uses a nine-year old would have for that kind of money, I surrendered myself to the moment and just asked: "Tom, why would you want a million dollars?"

With out looking up from his shaved ice Tom said: "So when we come back next year, I can give that girl (who prepared our shaved ice) a Thousand-Dollar tip!"

It was a pure moment...I told Tom how much I loved that this was the reason he wanted that kind of money. And he slurped out the words: "Well, it's really great shaved ice!"

2 comments:

karensdanglingconversation said...

See I knew you would love it! Very cool! You are awesome!

Happy Harrison said...

Priceless. Isn't being a mom the BEST?!